Last updated on December 23rd, 2020 at 01:15 pm
One of the more popular wire feed welders available on the market and it works great for different tasks. As this Hobart Handler 140 welder review will reveal, this product boasts high quality and good workmanship. It’s perfect for people who are just starting out as it’s very easy to use.
However, this ease of use doesn’t translate to a weak welder. The Handler 140 MIG is small enough to be portable yet powerful enough to be used on even some farm jobs. It operates on 115 volt house current and does not need a separate breaker for operation. In addition, the dual process capability gives you the option of using solid or flux cored wires to match a variety of different welding projects for thin or thick materials. Further, Hobart welders are protected by a 5/3/1 industrial warranty and this is no exception.
Hobart welders holds great reputation among both professional and amateur welders. Our experience with the welder has been mostly positive. It is clearly a higher quality than off brand welders. Additionally, it is a breeze to use. Once set-up, you will be able to successfully lay accurate and clean welds easily.
- The Hobart Handler 140 has a steel build quality, designed and assembled in Troy, Ohio USA.
- Industrial design yet conveniently operates off 115 volt household current.
- Comes with both settings for flux-core and MIG welding with a built-in gas solenoid valve.
- A wide range of welding possibilities from 24 gauge and up to ¼ inch mild steel.
- Capable of MIG welding thin materials such as steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. With the ability to use flux core for welding thicker materials.
- Welding amperage range of 25 to 140 amps suitable for maintenance, home repairs, and auto body work.
- With a duty cycle of 20% at 90 amps and a wire feed speed range of 40 to 700 IPM.
- 5-position tapped voltage control settings that allows you to fine tune the arc to match different thicknesses.
- Stable arc performance with great penetration and less spatter.
- Industrial cast aluminum wire drive system allows for maximum performance and durability.
- Quick select drive rolls to simplify switching to different wire sizes by offering three grooves; .024″ or .030/.035″ solid wires and .030/.035″ for flux-core wires.
- Easy and quick polarity change over.
- Accepts industrial grade 4 or 8 inch spools.
- Heavy duty 200 amp work clamp that handles any work load.
- Built-in safety features such as the built-in contactor that keeps the wire cold until the spool gun is triggered. A self-resetting thermal overload protection system for the power transformer and the wire feed setup.
- Weighs 57 pounds which makes it light enough to pick up and take wherever you want.
- Cost effective and comes with everything you need to start welding.
- All accessory cables are 10 feet long allowing easy access to most spaces.
- 5/3/1 year industrial manufacturer’s warranty shows that Hobart believes in their product and we do as well.
Mild Steel Welding Thickness: 24 gauge – ¼ inch
Rated Output: 90A @ 20% Duty Cycle
Max. Open-Circuit Voltage: 28V
Weight: 57 pounds
Amperage Range: 25A – 140A
Wire Feed Speed: 40 – 700 IPM
Welding Output: CV
Dimensions (LxWxH): 19.5 x 10.6 x 12.3 inches
- The Hobart Handler 140 welder’s 110-volt power limits it’s use to lighter operations rather than heavy duty industrial use. It tends to be more suitable for thinner materials.
- It’s difficult to establish a smooth wire feed. Mainly, it gets stuck easily when using flux cored wires specially if you are not using a heavy spool or cannot keep your feed wire straight.
- For some reason, this welder does a much better job at higher amperage. This could be due to a variety of outside factors.
- You cannot power it with a generator outdoor, you can only use it with the standard mains electricity.
- The wire that comes with the machine is plain bad. Throwing it out and starting with nicer wire is advisable as the welder will just work better for you.
What’s Included in the box
In the box you will of course find a Hobart Handler 140 wire feed welder with built-in gas valve, dual gauge regulators, and a gas hose. It also includes all accessories you will need to start, a 10 feet MIG gun with liner, extra .030 contact tips, 8 inch spool adapter, 10 feet work cable with clamp, and power cord. To get you started quickly it comes with a set up guide, sample spool of .030 flux-cored wire. Finally, it comes with a guide and user manual.
There are other useful accessories for the Hobart Handler MIG 140 that you can purchase separately. Such as the optional protective cover to provide a barrier against dust and debris when storing. And the optional wheeled cart that lets users roll the welder around, making it even more portable.
Hobart Handler 140 Review – Conclusion
The Hobart Handler 140 MIG is great for first time users and seasoned veterans alike. However, it does have its limitations. The small size of the welder means it is limited in the thickness of metal that can be used. On the other hand, the small size is also part of the appeal. Moreover, some substandard build quality was noticed, yet this has generally been resolved with some easy know how by the user. Mainly, the Hobart Handler 500559 welder’s true strength lies in its versatility. It can be used on anything from lawnmowers to automotive paneling. With the optional rolling cart it is easily moved and is light enough to be carried by hand. This combination of versatility and small size adds up to create a phenomenal home garage or DIY welder with industrial strength.
Like any product the Hobart 500559 Handler 140 MIG welder review shows both strengths and weaknesses. It can be used with a variety of materials such as cast iron, steel, stainless steel, copper, brass, titanium, magnesium alloys, not to mention, flux core aluminum. The Hobart Handler 140 welder is a welcome addition to most welding workshops and is priced to not break the bank. Rest assured when purchasing this welder you will get a quality product. Just make sure to get some high quality wire to replace the stock before welding.
Performance - 8/10
Durability - 8.8/10
Good Value - 8.8/10
Ease of Use - 8.5/10
Warranty - 9/10